K2 and Gondgoro la Trek are in the gigantic Karakoram Mountain Range, Gilgit Baltistan. K2 is said to be the King of Karakoram. It is 2nd highest peak in the world. Scores of adventurists, tourists, mountaineers, trekkers, and hikers rush toward K2 every year. Gondogoro is the most sought-after trekking on K2.
If exploring the heights and trekking the mountains is the hobby of any person, then Gondgoro la trek is the best spot for him. K2 and Gondgoro la trek make the trekkers joyful, with awesome mountain views, beautiful streams and lakes, rich cultural heritage, tasty food, and superb scenery.
It should be kept in mind that trekking at Gondgoro la trek is a difficult task. Reasonable mountaineering experience, climbing skills, experience walking at high altitudes, and knowledge of essential mountaineering materials’ (like ice axes, and crampons usage) are preconditions in this regard.
Chief Characteristics and Highlights of the Trek:
- K2 and Gondogoro trek leads the trekkers to the heart of the Karakoram Mountain Range. Some of the world’s beautiful, mesmerizing, and astounding landscapes exist in the gorgeous Karakoram Range, which is in the northern areas of Pakistan.
- Tourists can trek to the renowned Gilkey Memorial and pass Concordia. Concordia is also known as the “Throne Room of Gods” because of its spectacular 360-degree panorama of 7,000m mountains and awesome views of K2.
- On this trek, the highest point is the Gondgora la summit of 5,600m.
- K2 and Gondogoro la Trek is one of the world’s 5 best mountain trekking sites.
- From Gondogoro la trek II, Concordia & base camps; the trekkers can enjoy the heart-throbbing views of four 8,000 m high peaks including Broad Peak (8,051 m) and K2 (8,611 m) .
- Other peaks between 5,000 m to 8,000 m such as Gasherbrum III and IV, Gasherbrum Peak, and others are seen from K2 and Gondgoro la Trek.
- They can also view the wonderful Hushe Valley of Gilgit Baltistan from the trek.
- K2 and Gondogoro la Trek lead to the ancient Himalayan Kingdom of Gilgit Baltistan region.
- On K2 and Gondgoro la Trek, the tourists can entertain themselves with the trekking of 62 km long Bltoro Glacier, which is the number one trekking spot in Pakistan. The World’s seven out of twenty-five highest peaks rise above Baltoro Glacier.
- Glaciers including Biafo, Vigne, Liligo, Dunge, Muztagh, Biango, Mandu, Khalkal, etc. along with streams and lakes can be viewed from K2 and Gondgoro la Trek.
- From this trek, the visitors can trek Godwin Austin Glacier via Bal Toro Glacier. It is pertinent to mention that Godwin Austin Glacier is 5th longest glacier and the world’s largest one outside the polar region.
- The unique experience of delicious local foods and the rich cultural heritage of Northern Pakistan.
- During the journey, spectacular view flight to Skardu from Islamabad.
Best time to do trekking at Gondgoro la Trek:
The summer season is perfect for trekking at K2 and Gondgoro la Trek. June to August is the ideal month for this purpose.
A journey towards the Trek, en route Sites:
The memorable journey starts from Islamabad when the plane takes off towards Skardu. The flight view of the lush green scenery of Islamabad and the astonishing mountains along the way is second to none. After 45 minute flight, the pleasant cool breeze of Skardu welcomes the visitors. The K2 and Gondgoro La Trek take almost 20-22 days off for the trekkers to cover it.
After a marvelous journey along Barldu Gorge and the mighty Indus, one first reaches Askole (3,000 m). It is a small, pretty village where friendly and courteous people live. While trekking on the Bal Toro glacier, the visitors view the awesome peaks like the Lob Sang Spire, Trango and Cathedral groups, and Majestic Masherbrum (while heading towards Concordia).
During trekking on K2 and Gondgoro la Trek, the trekkers trek up the Godwin Austin Glacier to Broad Peak basecamp, Gilkey Memorial, and K2 base camp. They carry on the trek in the direction of Upper Bal Toro Glacier towards Chogolisa, where the astoundingly beautiful peak of Bal Toro Kangri is. This peak is also famous as the “Golden Throne”. Because, on the eve of sunrise, this peak changes its Ivory Color to Golden Hue. The peak is so mesmerizing that the visitors never intend to leave it.
Then, the tourists have a restful halt at Ali Camp. The camp is remote from the main route but calm and peaceful. In the morning, the trekkers cross the Gondgoro La pass (5585 m) with the help of mountaineering gear like harnesses, crampons, helmets, and ice axe. For the protection and safety of the crew, fixed ropes/lines at steep slopes of the pass will be needed too. A new face of the Universe is seen at the top of the pass. Mesmerizing peaks are viewed from here, like Broad Peak (8051 m), the gigantic K2 (8611 m), Gasherbrum I (8,080 m) also popular as Hidden Peak, and Gasherbrum II (8,035 m). The trekkers indeed enjoy the heavenly sightseeing from the top of Gondgoro Pass.
Afterward, the trekkers walk down through the beautiful Alpine valleys; indeed a memorable and joyful journey. Trekkers arrive at the Balti village of Hushe in the Hushe Valley. Inhabitants of this village of hospitable and amiable, with a great culture. From Hushe, the tourists reach Skardu via jeep and stay there for a night. Then, head towards Islamabad via a superb Mountain View flight.
A momentous journey of sightseeing, adventure, thrill, natural and cultural insight into Northern Pakistan, entertainment, and fun accomplishes here.
Although K2 and Gondgoro la Trek are done in summer usually, adventurists can enjoy them in winter too. A mountaineer and trekker having winter mountaineering experience can entertain himself by visiting the marvelous K2 and crossing the Gondgoro la Trek. It will be just incredible. One who visits and explores the beauty of this place only can enjoy the breathtaking scenery, pleasant cool breeze, awesome natural sites, and gigantic mountain ranges.
Leave A Reply